We often search for interesting things about a certain place, we all are aware of the culture and all things, but you should also try the dishes that are originally developed in a certain place because they have their own stories and reasons for everything.
Likewise, Orissa is really famous for culture and history, as well as some great healthy dishes are originated from there like Santula.
Santula is mostly made of Potato, papaya, eggplant, and tomato. It is either prepared by frying or boiling, including seasoning of onion and spices. People having digestion issues should try this dish as it does not include much of harmful spices.
You can prepare it when you are not sure what to make, which is not spicy and good for your tummy.
- 150 grams potato
- 200 grams raw papaya, chopped
- 3 brinjals (slit them into two parts)
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- coriander powder half or more than half tablespoon
- Cooking oil ( 1 and a half tablespoons)
- Small piece of ginger crushed
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 2 whole green chilies
- Water to adjust
- Salt as per taste
- Peel off the skin of raw papaya and wash properly. Cut in to cube size small pieces.
- Chop the brinjal (eggplant) remove the skin of drumsticks
- Keep all the vegetables separately and rinse them.
- Heat a pan with a little bit of water, add salt, turmeric, and the chopped papaya, and potatoes. Cover it and semi cook it for few minutes
- Later on, add brinjal with Potatoes and papaya then cook it well.
- In a separate pan, heat oil. Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, a pinch of asafoetida, and let them crackle. After that add chopped onion, chopped garlic, and ginger and fry till the onion turns brown and then add the chopped tomatoes. Fry it properly.
- Now add the cooked vegetables. Mix it, cover it and cook it for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Garnish it with fresh coriander leaves.
Enjoy your dish with Roti!