National Informatics Center, Government of India developed Sandes App
About Sandes App
Sandes is an instant messaging platform which allows user to send or receive one to one conversation with the individual as well as in group conversation.
It is an end-to-end encrypted there is no other third-party access involved. Your private data, chats, or any other information all are secured with end-to-end encryption. It is launched by the Government of India as an alternative to WhatsApp and another messaging platform. The App is available on the App Store for iOS users but for android users, it is accessible through Sandes Web Portal.
It was launched on August 2020 initially, but the stable release was launched on 19 August 2020 for Android users and on 12 February 2021 for iOS users.
Sandes App Features
Sandes app users are allowed to use encrypted one-to-one messaging, video calls, and voice call features. Other features include message forwarding, broadcasting, backup, text customization, and auto-delete feature.
All you need a valid phone number or email id to use this platform. You can log in and log out through any device.
Right now it has some limitations like an official group limited to 200 members, a non-official group to 50 members, and a broadcast list with limited to 10 contacts at a time.
There is also some limitation on the type of document, images, and videos you share on this platform. Format which are allowed for images (jpg, jpeg, png), for audios (mp3, m4a), for videos (mp4), for documents (doc, Docx, Xls, xlsx, ppt, pptx, pdf).
Sandes app is compatible with Android 5 or above and for iOS users, it is iOS 12 or above.
Sandes app size is 28.92 MB for Android and 62 MB for iOS users.
Reason to launch this app
This project was started in 2019 as part of its make in India initiative. It was launch for the Government employees for their internal communication which does not arouse any privacy concern regarding their conversation and data shared between them and provide them a secure messaging platform.
Initial software testing was started in mid-September in which 6600 official departments took part in this program and 20 lacs of messages were exchanged. Later in Feb 2021, it is rebranded as Sandes. After the WhatsApp new privacy plan, many people are shifting to other messaging platforms so Sandes app is a great alternative for WhatsApp. This app is available on the official website for a limited of public users and official employees only.
How to Register
- Go to the official website https://www.gims.gov.in/dash/dlink download the software and install the app.
- Register with valid mobile number and provide your other details including Name, Gender, profile photo and the app is ready to use.
Information Source – Wikipedia
How to use?
- Open the application
- After opening you will see a + box at bottom right just like in whatsapp, click on that + box and after that all your saved contacts has been synced with your Application.
- After syncing you will see list of your contacts their, now you can message to your any contacts.
- It’s use is as simple as whatsapp.
- Do note that when you download this application the name is displayed as GIMS(Government Instant Messaging System).
- It has a very similar Interface like whatsapp.
- You can also signup with email instead of only phone number.
- You can also access this app from its official Website also.
- You can share videos and photos upto 500MB, Obviously more than whatsapp.
- You have the option of backup even with your email.
- It is much secured and privacy confedential as compared to whatsapp.
- You can also check weather details of your city in the app.