Secure your Email Account from Hackers
Billions of people use email accounts services for their professional work, personal work, for making a profile on different website and application, for internet banking purpose, for online purchase, for digital payments, even for operating smartphones email account is required there are plenty of reasons to use email accounts these days.
These days protecting our accounts has become necessary because all our important data are stored on these emails, using some tips we can protect our account from hackers. There are two types of activity performed by hacker
1. Data Theft – Your email account contains your personal information like your Name, Mobile Number, and other details if this type of data leaked by a hacker, it is called data leak or data theft.
2. Account Hack – Data leak is not a major problem for many but an Account hack can create high trouble for you because all the data related to your financial purpose could be hacked.
Here are few ways to protect your Gmail account
1. Never click or open a URL you receive from an unknown source without knowing that it has come from a legitimate source.
2. Never provide personal information related to the bank or any organization on emails.
3. Never click on embedded mails, it could be seeded with malware.
4. Keep updating your antivirus software and operating system of your mobile and laptop.
5. Always use email services provided by Google, Microsoft companies, these companies provide the preeminent securities linked to your email accounts.
6. Try to adjust different passwords for different accounts and the password should contain a mixture of all the characters containing the alphanumeric character, upper case, lower case, and special character, it should be a strong one. Don’t use a password like your name or date of birth as it could be easily guessed by someone and there is a high possibility to hack your account.
7. Use a password manager to remember your password of your all accounts, you need not remember each password.
8. Changing often your password can also protect your accounts from hackers.
9. If you want to access other third-party applications through your email account, make sure the third-party application is a legitimate one and there is less information saved by the app. You can remove the accessed application from email when there is no requirement for that application.
10. If you are using your email account from another desktop or in a café, don’t forget to logout from their computers.
11. Enable 2-way authentication provided by Gmail services. Verify it by your Mobile number. It is a security feature to make your account more secure. It will send a notification prompt whenever someone tries to log in to your account without your permission no one can log in to your account.
Click on 2 step verification process.
When you click on get started you will receive a notification prompt by providing your mobile phone number and you have to enter your one-time password and the 2-way login verification started.
12. Try to access your mail from private or incognito mode, by opening through the tab or clicking ctrl+Shift+P. It will provide you additional security features.
13. When you log in to your Gmail account in the right corner there is an option of google account you can click on that there is a feature of We keep your account protected.
You can check all your login activity from this account set up, if you find anything suspicious you can manage accordingly.
14. Provide an additional email to protect your account, as a sign-in recovery option whenever you find your account hacked, you can log in through that another email.
Following tips can make your account helpful to protect it from hackers. Always be prepared to the fact that your email account still could be hacked and in the case if you feel your account is compromised try following these tips-
- If you feel your account is compromised by an unknown source, inform Technical support. They will handle the situation according to the company’s policy.
- Change your password as soon as possible.
Follow security check updates by Gmail Services it could protect your account from hackers.
Apart from Google, Yahoo, Microsoft there are various other alternative email platforms for which you can opt for email services like Proton Mail, Tutanota, Zoho Mail, and many more. All the platforms provide you several IT solutions, including a password manager, end-to-end encryption, malware, and spam protection, and many others. All could vary depending on their services and storage.