Kofta is the best dish and it can be prepared with many variations as per individual taste. Kofta is a part of meatball or meatloaf dishes found in the Indian subcontinent, South Caucasian, Middle Eastern, Balkan, and Central Asian cuisines.
Koftas in India are mostly served cooked in a spicy curry and are eaten with boiled rice or a variety of Indian bread, this Kofta dish initially originated in India and Lebanon.
But surprisingly people have created kofta for vegetarians as well, which is equally tasty and healthy, like Bottle Gourd kofta. Bottle guard is also known as Dhoodi and lauki in India. It is made of gram flour and many species for seasoning. Bottle gourd kofta curry is great in protein as well as rich in calcium. kofta curry is good for diabetes therapy as it is rich in minerals particularly in copper and chromium.
We know bottle gourd is reasonable to lessen cholesterol levels in the body, it contains a decent percentage of dietary fiber, potassium, and phosphorus. It can be cooked for any time meal.
Vegetarian Kofta Recipe
- ** Ingredients for Kofta Balls **
- 500 grams bottle gourd
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
- Half teaspoon garam masala
- Salt as per taste
- Oil for frying
- ** Ingredients for gravy **
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- Tomatoes 2
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- A pinch of garam masala
- 1 tbsp ghee\oil
- Freshly chopped coriander leaves
- Salt as per taste
- Take the bottle gourd, peel and wash it and grate it properly. Then squeeze the water out of the grated bottle gourd.
- Add the chickpea flour, salt as per taste, fennel seeds, red chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, and black pepper powder. Mix it all properly.
- Make the balls from the grated bottle gourd and spices.
- Heat oil in a pan, then deep fry the balls and keep it aside on tissue or something to remove the excessive oil.
- Take a jar, put onion and tomato grind it and make the puree.
- Take another pan, put ghee in it. Add cumin seeds sizzle it, then ginger-garlic paste fry for sometimes, then add the tomato, onion puree, mix it well. When the gravy starts to release the oil, put the spices again, salt as per taste, turmeric powder, red chili powder. Cook for 6-7 minutes.
- Add the adequate water in the gravy stir it to bring a boil. After that add the kofta (balls of bottle gourd) mix it well. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and garnish it with fresh coriander leaves.