Curd Rice Recipe: The festive season in India brings a lot of happiness and fun. During this time families unite and celebrate their respective festivals. The most amazing part of this time is the different types of food and sweets made. One such dish is the Curd rice dish.
Curd rice is very popular amongst the South Indians. It’s also used as an offering to gods during prayers and as a prasadam to distribute amongst the devotees.
The curd rice is made with cooked rice, curd, and spices. It’s enjoyed by the South Indians and it’s a part of their regular meal as well. And, not just south Indians but every Indian from different parts of the country loves to devour this extremely appetizing cusine due to its authentic taste and use of limited ingredients and easy cooking process.
How to make Curd Rice Recipe?
Curd rice is one of the simplest dish which can be cooked with ease and simplicity without much time and ingredients. Let me give a vivid description of the process of making this heavenly food. Given below is the recipe to make curd rice in the simplest way possible.
A few simple tips you can opt to make extremely good Curd rice which will also prove quite beneficial to health.
- Rice which is to be used for making curd rice must be fresh and good in quality. While, use of stale rice must be avoided because along with damaging the taste it can also do the great harm with your health.
- In order to maximize the health benefits millets, wheat, brown rice etc. can be used in the place of rice or any such whole grain if not millet or brown rice. It will prove just like blessing to the health if used properly.
- Mashing up of rice before adding curd to it must be taken care of properly because hard rice is quite tough to digest and challenging for health at the American time. Hence, making sure that rice has turned soft or not is a must to do thing in the starting of cooking process only.
- It must be ensured that rice has turned cool before adding curd to it, because mixing of curd in the hot rice can cause imbalances to the body.
- As curd is a cool ingredient which helps in making the body cool and balanced during summer season hence, making curd rice during summer season and regular consumption of it must be encouraged during hot seasons.
- If curd rice would be complemented with cucumbers and onions, it will help in maintaining the temperature of the body. It would help in digestion process and heat management by bringing down the body temperature.
Hope you all would like this most appetizing recipe and would give it a try in this festive season.
Recipe to make curd rice.
- Half a cup rice
- One cup of curd
- Oil Mustard seeds
- One teaspoon Urad dal
- Curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Chopped green chilies
- Chopped coriander
- Eight cashews
- One teaspoon chana dal
- Half cup grated carrot Red chili
Preparing the rice.
Step 1: Add half a cup of rice to a bowl and wash it thoroughly. After washing the rice soak it for 20 or 30 minutes. Rinse out the water and empty out the rice in a pressure cooker with one and a half cup freshwater and half teaspoon of salt. Now cook the rice directly on the flame for 1 or 2 whistles. We need to soft cook the rice for the perfect texture.
Step 2: When the pressure releases, mash the rice well to give it a creamy texture. Let the rice cool down and then add the curd and mix well until combined properly. You can keep adding curd to match the consistency you desire.
Step 1: Heat some oil in a pan. When the oil is heated add a broken red chili half teaspoon mustard seeds, eight cashews, one teaspoon chana dal, one teaspoon urad dal, and chopped green chilies. Sauté them until they’re golden. Then add some chopped ginger and curry leaves. After the curry leaves turn crisp add asafetida and sauté for a minute.
Step 2: Add carrots and coriander leaves to the mixture made. Pour the tempering into the curd rice made earlier. After adding stir well and add salt according to the taste.
Pour out the ready dish in a bowl and garnish it with roasted cashews or pomegranate seeds as per your wish. It can also be served with pickle or pappad, as per the choice.
Curd rice is easy to prepare and tastes amazing. It does not require a lot of work and can be easily made at home.