There’s an old saying, “We have only one life to enjoy and live fully”, It basically means that there are many people who kill their desires in order to achieve something, which they shouldn’t.
Just like that, in a competition of being fit, People are killing their taste. It is good to be a fitness freak but there’s no harm in taking a day off. We can take one day off from all strict diets and stuff, then it can be covered.
So, people who are missing out Chole Bhature for the sake of fitness they should try it for a day. Chole Bhature is a North Indian cuisine, made of Maida (all-purpose- flour) and chickpeas with a seasoning of spices, it is really famous in Punjab.
It contains a fitness touch as chickpeas are a great source of protein, and if you have onion, tomatoes as salad then its more effective, onion is antioxidant so as a tomato and it is also good for the skin and prevents heart problems.
Now some Fun Facts 😍
1) Did you know World Chole Bhature Day is celebrated the same day we celebrate Gandhi Jayanti on October 2nd every year.
2) In India the common words for Chana are Kabuli Chana or Chickpea or Bengal Gram. The other interesting words are Garbanzo, Garbanzo Bean, Egyptian Pea. Interesting Right!
3) On April 6, 2017, Worlds Biggest Bhatura was made in India by Leonardo Olive Oil (a brand of Cargill India Pvt. Ltd). It was of 6ft, 5.2 kg, using 205 liters of Olive Oil. Wow (source)
Now lets make tasty and yummy Punjabi Chole Bhature Recipe
Tasty and Yummy Chole Bhature RecipePrint Recipe
- 2 cup chickpeas (chole) soaked overnight
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- Pinch of asafoetida (heeng)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tsp amchur powder
- 3-4 cloves (laung)
- 1 tsp whole peppercorns (sabut kali mirch)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder (Haldi)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 1 tsp ajwain
- 1 green chili chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- Coriander leaves
- Salt as per taste
- For the bhaturas
- 2 and a half cups maida
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- A pinch of salt (optional)
- Water (to knead) or fresh curd
- Oil (for frying)
- In a cooker add oil, bay leaf, cinnamon, cumin seeds, cloves, whole peppercorns, green and black cardamom.
- After it gets brown add chopped onions, saute it a little bit then add garlic ginger paste.
- Put in turmeric, chili powder, coriander powder, amchur powder, asafoetida, and salt, fry the ingredients together and mix it.well.
- Add a little bit of water to cook it well.
- After that add chole (chickpeas) in the cooker with spices and stir.
- After stirring well add tomato puree and salt as per taste in the chole.
- Now add ajwain, chopped green chilies, and water for the base.
- Close the cooker and whistle it for 4-5 times
- Garnish the chole with coriander leaves.
Prepare the bhaturas:
- Knead the whole wheat flour, maida, and salt together with a sufficient amount of water or curd.
- Make small balls from the dough and then roll it in Roti shape.
- Take a deep pan to fry bhatura, put oil heat it on medium to high flameFry the bhatura till it turns brownish (don’t burn it)
- Take out the bhatura on a tissue or something to remove excessive oil.
- Serve it with chole and salad.
Your chole bhature is ready!