Seafood is very much loved and tend to be the healthiest. There are many categories in it, but the main and major seafood is Fishes, in which also it has many varieties and different species which contains strong health benefits.
One of that species is the Bombay Duck fish. Bombay duck, bummalo, bombil, and boomla is a species of lizardfish. Adults may reach a maximum length of 40 cm, but the usual size is around 25 cm.
The origin of Bombay duck fish is uncertain, but as by its name, we can understand that it is famous and found in Mumbai, Maharashtra. It is great for the immune system, it helps in the formation of red blood cells, essential for teeth and bones. It helps to promote the growth of children, improve hair quality, as well as mental health.
- 4 Large sized = 550 gms Bombay Duck Fish
- Cooking oil
- Lemon juice (one)
- 3-4 green chili
- More than half a teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 6-7 cloves of Garlic
- Half inch Ginger
- 150 grams of Rava (semolina)
- 60-70 grams of wheat or rice flour
- More than half a teaspoon of Garam masala
- Chilli powder (as per taste)
- Salt (as per taste)
(If you don’t get clean fish from the vendor, do this)
- First will clean Bombay Duck fish. Use a paper on the board, to avoid spreading the dirt. On a chopping board cut off Head, Tail, and Fins. Cut below the head in a slanted shape and pull out the offal. Cut off the fins properly.
- After that remove the shells by moving the knife along its body from tail to head, open the fish from the stomach. Run the knife along this faint line running through its stomach. Remove the offal from inside and toss it out. Keep going deeper gradually, and open the fish totally, (avoid cutting it too deep, it will tear it apart).
- Clean it from the water and wipe it by tissue. Marinate with Turmeric Powder, Salt, and Lemon Juice, to get rid of the bacteria, and smell. Marinate it on both the sides and keep it for 20 minutes.
- After that blend ginger, chilies, and garlic to a thick paste (you can add a little bit of water)
- Apply this paste on all the fish, keep it in the refrigerator for 10- 15 minutes.
- Take a large bowl, put Rava, Rice flour, and add red chili powder, Garam Masala. Add salt to taste and mix well.
- Take the fish out from the refrigerator and coat it with this paste. Apply the coating nicely.
- Take a pan, put oil (a little bit to fry) on medium to low heat, and fry the fish.
- Fry the fish from all sides for the crisp (spread the oil on the pan).
Bombay duck fry is good to go!