Rogan Josh is a traditional Indian curry dish, originating from the Kashmir region. It is made with red meat, traditionally lamb, mutton, or goat and is flavored and colored primarily by alkanet flower (or root) and Kashmiri chilies.
Rogan Josh is a traditional Indian dish that is typically made with lamb or mutton, and is flavored with a variety of spices. The thickness of the sauce comes from the use of bone marrow, red chili paste, fennel powder, ginger powder and yogurt, rather than onions, garlic and tomatoes. Some recipes do not use yogurt and instead use pran (wild shallot paste).
There are two main ways of preparing Rogan Josh: the Hindu Pandit method and the Kashmiri Muslim method. In the Hindu Pandit method, yogurt is used and the meat is seared and braised. On the other hand, the Kashmiri Muslim method does not include searing and braising and onion, fresh ginger and garlic are avoided.
Rogan Josh can be made with different ingredients such as lamb, chicken, vegetables, prawns, minced meat, and paneer. The choice of main ingredient is usually up to the cook’s preference.
The recipe for original Rogan Josh is as follows:
Rogan Josh Ingredients
½ cup Mustard oil
1-2 Green cardamom
500 gm mutton
¾ cup curd
A few strands of saffron
1 tsp Dried ginger powder
½ tsp Fennel powder
¼ tsp Asafoetida
1 ½ tbsp kashmiri Red chilli powder
¼ cup Mutton stock
Salt to taste
½ cup ghee
Rogan Josh Preparation Methods (Instructions):
- Heat a saucepan, add mustard oil, cloves, green cardamom, mutton and saute well.
- In a bowl, add curd, saffron strands, dried ginger powder, fennel powder, asafoetida, kashmiri red chilli powder and mix well, transfer it into a saucepan.
- Add salt to taste and let it cook. Add little mutton stock mix well and cover it with the lid.
- cook till the meat is tender.
- In a pan, add ghee, ratanjot once it leaves the colour, strain the mixture and transfer it into the saucepan and mix well.
- Serve hot with naan.