Karela (bitter gourd) is not soo much liked among people because of its bitterness, it tastes like medicine which people are not a fan of, karela (bitter gourd) originated on the Indian subcontinent, and it was introduced to china in the 14th century, China people love it because of its healthy elements.
Karela (bitter gourd) is a rich source of vitamins and minerals. It encompasses iron, magnesium, potassium, and vitamins like A and C. It includes more of the calcium compared to broccoli and spinach.
Numerous antioxidants and anti-inflammatory solvents exist in bitter gourd. But people can’t eat it, it’s bitterness is quite much to take, so Indians brought taste in bitter gourd, by making it karela (bitter gourd) fry, adding seasoning in it as per choice.
Let’s learn to make bitter gourd a tasty dish, which can be eaten with Roti.
- 500 grams of karela (bitter gourd)
- One teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Red chili powder as per taste
- One teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon of amchur powder (mango powder)
- 1 large finely chopped onion
- 3-4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 2 to 3 green chili finely chopped
- Salt as per taste
- Water to soak karela (bitter gourd)
- Two and a half tablespoon oil for cooking
- Freshly chopped coriander leaves
- Lightly peel off the skin of the karela, and then chop them in a circle. Although you can discard the seeds of karela I suggest, not to because it has the main protein. Then put the karela in water for 5 to 6 minutes and sprinkle a little bit of salt in it.
- Take a deep pan, put oil in it and heat it on medium flame, add cumin seeds, and mustard seeds. Let them sizzle properly, once they start crackling add onion, garlic, and green chili in the pan. Cook till onion turns soft.
- After onion cooks properly add the spices and add red chili, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and salt as per test. Mix it well and then add karela (bitter gourd) in the spices. Mix it and let it steam for 10 to 15 minutes. Keep stirring in between.
- Once the karela (bitter gourd) is cooked properly add amchur (mango) powder, mix it well and cook for 1 or 2 minutes then garnish it with freshly chopped coriander leaves.
Enjoy karela (bitter gourd)!