Rogan Josh or Rogan Gosht is a aromatic mutton dish from Persian / Kashmiri origin. In Rogan Josh, the word “Rogan” means “red color” which is the attraction of the Persian dish. And the Kashmiri chilies add that the flavored to the Rogan Josh.
The Rogan josh dish is made from Mutton or pieces think gravy flavored with Kashmiri Red Chilies, Ginger Garlic Paste with aromatic spices like cardamom, cloves cinnamon, bay leaves, Black Pepper with Onions.
In India, Rogan josh was influenced by Persian cuisine and introduced to Kashmir by The Mughals. There are lots of variation for the Rogan Josh dish. Some cook with onion and tomato, Some add curds and some do not use onion, tomato or curds and just using the spices.
Check our Rogan Josh Recipe and treat your family and friends.
Rogan Josh or Rogan Gosht RecipePrint Recipe
- 1kg Mutton cut into small pieces and washed
- 2 tablespoons Ghee
- Cinnamon 2 one-inch (Dalchini)
- Cloves 5-6 (Laung)
- Black peppercorns 6-8 (Kali Miri)
- Black cardamoms 1 (Badi Illaichi)
- Green cardamoms 4 (Illaichi)
- Kashmiri red chilli powder 2 tablespoon
- Ginger Garlic Paste 2 Tablespoon
- 4 Onions Chopped
- Cumin (Jeera) powder 1 tablespoon
- Garam masala powder 1 teaspoon
- 3 tablespoons coriander leaves chopped
- Star Anise - 1
- 2-3 Bay Leaves
- Mutton Stock Water
- Clean the Mutton pieces and wash it clean. Now add the Mutton pieces to the cooker, Add 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste. Cook it for 2 whistle and keep aside.
- Chop the onions in small pieces. Take a Pan and add oil to it. Once hot add the chopped onion to eat and fry.
- After the onions are fried to golden brown, Add the spices like Cinnamon stick, Cardamom, Cloves, Star Anise, Black Pepper. Fry for 2 mins more.
- Now cool the fried Onion with the spice ingredients. Once cool add it to the mixer and make a fine paste.
- Take a deep cooking pot and add 2 Tablespoon of Ghee. Add the cooked Mutton pieces without the stock water. Fry for some time.
- Now add the Onion Paste, Kashmiri Red Chili Powder, Ginger Garlic Paste, Garam Masala.
- Add the stock water to adjust the thickness with salt as per taste.
- Add soaked saffron to the mix and cook till the mixture is slightly thickens.
- Garnish and serve hot