Let’s get started with answering all the questions related to Health Benefits Of Onions, Its Side Effects and More
Be it any vegetarian dish or non-vegetarian, one ingredient is quite common in all of them and that is “onion”. It is a basic thing which is used by one and all in all the food materials. But have you ever tried to know how beneficial onions are in respect to health? And what are its side effects? What makes you cry while cutting them into tiny pieces? And how to avoid foul breath after consuming raw onion?
Onions are a powerhouse of various benefits:
- Onions contain a huge amount of rich value when it comes to enhancing the immunity and boosting the health power.
- From reducing chances of heart attack to curing Cancer like deadly diseases, Onion is blessed with a sheer capability of curing them.
- Onions only contain 45 calories in per serving which is quite are low.
- It also contains no fat and cholesterol which helps heart patients to have it included in their diet without worries about fats and cholesterol level increase.
- These also contain folic acid, fibers and Vitamins like Vitamin B which helps the body in growing new cells and making a person healthier and fit.
As onions are taken in both the forms, Raw and cooked (Raw onion is included in Salads and cooked onions are included in the meals), these are beneficial in both the forms. Raw onions are very beneficial as they contain higher organic sulfur compounds. When peeling the onions you should be careful and remove as little edible part as possible, because the outer layer of it contains a very high value of flavonoids.
Some Health Benefits Of Onions are as follows:
1. In the digestion process
As we all know onions are quite rich in terms of fiber concentration, which later helps in better digestion of food. A special kind of fiber called, oligo fructose is found in the onions which are soluble and help in incrementing a good amount of bacteria’s which in both the intestine, small as well as the large intestine. It also protects from gastric ulcers, diarrhea and other diseases related to stomach.
2. Boosting the immune system
Polyphenols in Onions protect the body from free radicals. These free radicals are the main source of harming health and maintaining poor immunity. That’s why when these are removed, the immune system gets stronger and the person gets healthier resultantly. Bone density is also increased in women going through menopause.
3. Diabetes control
Chromium found in onions helps in regulating sugar level in blood. Sulfur found in Onions increase insulin and lowers blood pressure. It is beneficial for both the types of patients suffering from Diabetes type-1 and Type-2 respectively. Consuming a few slices of Onions can normalise the level of enzymes which is beneficial for people suffering from Type 2 diabetes.
4. Protecting from deadly diseases like Cancer.
Including onions in the meals on daily basis can reduce chances of gastric cancer, ovarian cancer, laryngeal, oral and esophageal cancer. Quercetin found in Onions is amazingly helpful in reducing the chances of breast cancer, lung tumors prostate, endometrial, and colons.
Sulfur present in Onion works as an effective anti-inflammation agent and reduces pain, swelling and other body problems. Quercetin present in Onions gives relief to asthma patients.
As have seen few benefits of Onions, we must not forget that onions are not all about boosting immunity and reducing chances of few serious diseases, there are few side effects of Onions too along with benefit.
Some of the side effects of Onions:
1. Consuming lots of Onions on daily basis can create gas bloating.
2. Raw onions, when taken in excess amount can cause the excess problem of heartburn in those already suffering from Chronic heartburn.
3. As Onions contain a very huge amount of vitamins K, it can create problems like thinning of blood functions.
4. Gastric, nausea and vomiting like problems can also be faced by people who are a bit allergic to them.
5. Rashes, itchy eyes and swelling like problems can also be faced by people when the skin comes into direct contact with onions.
Worried about how to avoid Onion breath?
Chewing citrus peel, like the peel of lemon or orange can reduce bad breath caused due to consumptions of Onion, especially raw onion. Rinsing the mouths or gargles with lemon juice and water can also be quite helpful in removing foul onion breath.
Wondering what makes you cry while peeling the onions?
The onion produces a sulfur-based gas. This later produces sulfuric acid when gas reacts with moisture present in the eyes and causes tears, itching and irritation in the eyes.
Fun Facts: To save yourself from this situation of shedding tears while cutting it, you can either keep it quite far from your eyes or you can keep it immersed in the water before cutting it. Freezing it for few minutes (generally 30 minutes) can also reduce its quality of making you cry.
Excess consumption of everything can lead to some serious problem. Same applies of Onions too. When these will be used in a limited amount, these will not create any problem instead will provide some amazing health benefits. So, use onions in a limit and stay fit and healthy!