India is very much known for herbs and leafy vegetables which are healthy and great in taste, Patoleo is one of them. Its also known as Patolleo or Turmeric Leaf Cake
Patoleo is a turmeric leaf jammed leaf coat. It is made of crushed coconut, rice, and jaggery, and prepared by covering and steaming in turmeric leaves. This is mostly prepared on the western seaside of India and other Indian Ocean islands, but it is originally generated in Goa.
The ingredients which are used to prepare Patoleo are organic and contain health benefits. Turmeric leaves are a refreshing herb and a sattvic diet that facilitates open thinking, relaxing and calm emotions. The leaves also well known as Haldi and manjal leaves include curcumin which is a vital antioxidant. Rice balances vitamins and minerals, a somewhat amount of arsenic has been found in rice.
Patoleo is generally consumed after eliminating the leaf and is eaten with the vegetarian joyous lunch during the Hindu festivities.
It is a little lengthy process to prepare, but worth the time.
Patoleo joyous dish
- Turmeric leaves
- 1 big bowl of rice. (Water to rinse)
- Coconut (crumbled)
- cardamom powder (optional)
- Rinse and soak the rice overnight in the adequate water.
- Next day, seep the rice and put it in a blender, add the salt (as per taste) in the rice and grind it to a proper thick paste, adding water (in less quantity to adjust). The paste should be thick. Keep it aside for 3 to 4 hours before proceeding to make the Patoleo.
- Take the freshly crumbled coconut, jaggery powder, cardamom powder, and grated nutmeg mix them, and keep in a bowl. If you chop jaggery, then cook it with the crumbled coconut and cardamom powder for 5 to 6 minutes on medium heat. (Jaggery and coconut paste is optional as per individual taste)
- Gently wash the leaves and keep them on a clean cloth and mop them up to dry, (be careful to avoid them in ripping).
- Later moist your fingers, take the paste of rice and spread it in the middle of the leaf. Moist your fingers again to rub all over the leaf in a thin coating. (cut the leaf into half if they are too long).
- put the small quantity of jaggery and coconut filling in the midrib on rice paste.
- Take the single tablespoon or you can take more than that of the stuffing and spot along the midrib. After that fold up the leaf and squeeze it on the border of it gently with your palm to lock it properly.
- The same procedure will be done for all leaves.
- Take a steamer, (the steamer should be little heated up beforehand) pour sufficient water, and cover it. Wait till the steam starts to come out, and then open the steamer and put the Patoleo gently in it (keep space in the steamer). Close it and steam for 15 to 20 minutes on medium-low heat. The color of Patoleo will change when it’s done.
- Enjoy your dish!