In India there are various States following various cultures, the traditions are different and most importantly they have various types of dishes. Each state has their specific famous dish which originates there, but because of tastefulness, it becomes famous all over India and sometimes outside the boundaries as well.
One such example of the dish is dal bati, daal bati basically originated in Rajasthan ( known as the meal of Rajputs), but it is said to be famous in all over India presently, a major role in states like Maharashtra’s Khandesh and Vidarbha region, Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh (especially in Braj, Nimar and Malwa regions).
It is made of dal (lentils) and baati (hard wheat rolls) dipped in ghee. It feels so good when a tasty dish contains some health benefits too. Most pulses are high in potassium, which helps lower blood pressure by equalizing the effects of sodium, and they also transmit iron, zinc, folate, selenium, and magnesium, all of which help further.
It does not take much effort to make. Let’s know to make really tasty dal bati.
- 300 grams of urad dal (soaked for 15 minutes)
- One teaspoon cumin seeds
- Small pinch of Hing (Asafoetida)
- 2 Onion
- 2 to 3 green chili
- 7 to 8 black pepper balls
- 5 to 6 garlic cloves
- 1 inch Ginger
- Salt as per taste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- One and a half tablespoon of ghee for frying
- Freshly chopped coriander leaves
- +++ Ingredients for the basic dough +++
- Half kg of wheat flour
- 2 tbsp gram flour
- 1 tablespoon Rava (Semolina)
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Water to adjust
- Ghee for dipping
- In a container, add wheat flour, gram flour, Rava, baking soda, salt, and ghee. Make the dough of it by adding little by little water to make a stiff dough.
- After that from the dough, make small size of balls, then press the ball a little bit with the thumb (do the same for all balls).
- Now put the balls in the oven and cook them for 20 to 25 minutes on medium flame. The bati will turn a little bit of black and brown. And dip bati in ghee and keep them aside.
- Make the Puree of onion, garlic, ginger, black pepper balls, and green chili.
- In a cooker add dal, salt, turmeric powder, and water (depends how thick you want your dal) and let it whistle thrice or more to cook dal properly.
- Take a deep pan to add ghee in it on medium flame, add the cumin seeds and hing. After that add onion puree, cook till the gravy starts to release water. Then add the boiled dal.
- Cook dal to a boil, add the chopped coriander leaves stir it well.
Serve the dal bati with salad!