June 3rd was declared as World Bicycle Day by the United Nations General Assembly in April 2018. The resolution was passed by recognizing and acknowledging “the uniqueness, longevity and versatility of the bicycle, which has been in use for two centuries, and that it is a simple, affordable, reliable, clean and environmentally fit sustainable means of transport.”
World Health Organization (WHO) states that Bicycle is the safest infrastructure for walking and cycling is also a pathway for achieving greater health equity.
Some facts on Bicycle this World Bicycle Day
- Bicycle is was first created in France and the modern design was created in England.
- John Howard– an American is credited as the fastest bicyclist with a record speed 133.75 km per hour on flat surface.
- Netherlands has the highest cycles with seven out of eight people over 15 years having one.
- A cycle is 20 times cheaper than a car.
- The worlds longest bicycle is 20 meters long which had a seating arrangement of 35+ people.
- Study says that bike accidents can be reduced to half with the Bicycle usage increase by 3 times.
- Bicycle is a symbol of human progress and development.
Here are the health benefits of regular cycling:
- Regular cycling increases muscle strength and flexibility
- Helps in cardiovascular fitness
- Very useful for strengthening of bones
- Helps in reducing anxiety, stress levels and depression
- You can improvise your posture and coordination
- Helps in reducing body fat levels.
World Bicycle Day 2021 Quotes
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” –Albert Einstein
“It never gets easier, you just go faster” -Greg LeMond
“Crashing is part of cycling as crying is part of love” -Johan Museeuw
“I’m lazy. But it’s the lazy people who invented the wheel and the bicycle because they didn’t like walking or carrying things.” -Lech Walesa
“Cyclists live with pain. If you can’t handle it you will win nothing” -Eddy Merckx
“Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride.” -John F. Kennedy
“A bicycle ride around the world begins with a single pedal stroke” -Scott Stoll
“Like dogs, bicycles are social catalysts that attract a superior category of people.” -Chip Brown
You can’t be sad while riding a bicycle.
“Cycling has encountered more enemies than any other form of exercise.”
“One of the most important days of my life, was when I learned to ride a bicycle.” – Michael Palin
“My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. “- Peter Golkin
“Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. “– H.G. Wells
“A bicycle ride around the world begins with a single pedal stroke.” – Scott Stoll
“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring.” – Desmond Tutu
“Cycling isn’t a game, it’s a sport. Tough, hard and unpitying, and it requires great sacrifices. One plays football, or tennis, or hockey. One doesn’t play at cycling.” – Jean de Gribaldy
“I don’t ride a bike to add days to my life. I ride a bike to add life to my days.”
“Like dogs, bicycles are social catalysts that attract a superior category of people.”
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.” — Mark Twain